Let’s be honest the constant lockdowns COVID has thrown us into our kitchens a LOT. I have personally got super creative with all my addictive baking during the corona phase, from dalgona coffee, cheesecake, tres leches and red velvet (to name a few actually🤩) I have been using my guns of steel (joking) to whisk away in the kitchen. The most recent dessert I tried was a triple layered dessert😋, the base was made of brownies, the middle layer was a cream cheesy chocolate mousse, topped off with a fluff of whipping cream. As you might have guessed already, it was delicious, I cannot wait to make it again!
For today’s post I will be sharing this recipe with my readers, so do try it out and let me know. Everything was made from scratch, did not involve any mix. Honestly, I hate the recipes that require you to get a mix from the supermarket, I live in Sri Lanka and we do not exactly have them, easily available😬. I followed this recipe for the chocolate mousse, but the brownie recipe was my own magic one!
For the brownies
- 190 grams of butter
- 250 grams sugar
- 80 grams of plain flour
- 200 grams of dark chocolate
- 20 grams of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 3 eggs
For the Chocolate Mousse
- 3/4 cup whipping or heavy cream whipped or 1 1/2 cups cup cool whip
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder add more if desired
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese very softened (microwave for 20 seconds to soften if needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Whipped Topping Layer
- 1 1/2 cups whipping or heavy cream
- Melt the butter and dark chocolate together in a bowl. Make sure you double boil it.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar until the mixture is pale, light, and frothy.
- Pour the dark chocolate and butter mixture into the mixture of egg and sugar that has been whisked. Make sure that you do not leave the butter and dark chocolate out for a long time without pouring it in, since the butter would float on top and the chocolate would be at the bottom.
- Add in the flour and beat briefly.
- Add the cocoa powder and the teaspoon of baking powder and beat till the mixture has been mixed throughout.
- Preheat the oven for ten minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a tray, that is either buttered, or sprayed, to make sure that the brownie does not stick. Remember you will have to spread the mousse and whipped cream on top of the brownies, so make sure that your tray has quite a height.
- Bake at the temperature of 250F for up to 20-30 minutes.
- If it still has not baked fully after the given period, then increase the timer for a few minutes and keep checking constantly.
For Chocolate Mousse
- Beat cream cheese until very smooth and creamy. Add in cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and vanilla beat until everything is mixed in. Fold in whipped cream and pour on top of cooled brownie pie. If you are making whipped cream, beat whipping cream until you get stiff peaks and fold in chocolate cream cheese mixture and pour on top of cooled brownie pie.
For Whipped Cream
- You can use whipped cream that you but of the shelves, or whip your own cream up. Whip it up and spread it on the mousse layer and TA-DA it’s ready! Make sure your mousse is somewhat cold before you spread the whipped cream on top.
That’s the recipe everyone! Give it a go and let me know on how it tastes and all! 💖